Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Blog 23: Exit Interview Prep

(1) What is your essential question, and what are your answers?  What is your best answer and why?

My essential question is How can a restaurant provide an appealing and delicious dining experience? My answers are communication, attention to detail, and teamwork. My best answer is attention to detail because detail can be expressed in so many different ways and allows the restauranteurs and chefs to truly be unique.

(2) What process did you take to arrive at this answer?

When I started to learn more about developing a restaurant, I found that deep thought and detail is put into the dining experience. I learned about color psychology and how to make the environment suitable and attractive to customers. I learned about the psychology of restaurant menus and how they heavily thought out in order to give the best impression. By researching fine dining service and etiquette, I learned of all the different techniques and details that servers implement when serving the customer. Through various interviews, I’ve observed the power of detail in the kitchen, a place where precision is key. The customer expects great detail from the moment they walk in, the moment they walk out.

(3) What problems did you face?  How did you resolve them?

During the first EQ meeting, I had realized that my EQ was a little too specific, making finding answers difficult. With my adjusted EQ, I was able to expand my search throughout Culinary Arts and fine dining. Following my Lesson 2 presentation, I realized that the first answer I had initially presented on was much too broad, leaving little room for answers two and three. After much careful thought and inquiry, I was able to reset and establish my three answers.

(4) What are the two most significant sources you used to answer your essential question and why?

During my journey, I came upon many great sources, but here are two that really helped me build up my answers, my Culinary Arts Interview #2 and the film Front of House: Dining Etiquette. My interview with my mentor was very useful because I got to go deeper and ask him more about his career and personal experiences. The stories that he told helped me build images and scenarios, giving me a perspective of working in a restaurant. The film Front of House: Dining Etiquette was a very detailed and realistic view of eating in a fine dining restaurant. I was able to learn timings and cues within the dining experience, as well as service expectations. This source taught me the perspective of the guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment