Thursday, April 21, 2016

Blog 22: Independent Component 2

LITERAL
(a) Include this statement: “I, student name, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 33 hours of work.”
(b) Cite your source regarding who or what article or book helped you complete the independent component.
Front of House: Dining Etiquette. Perf. Mark Kushner. YouTube. Community College of Philadelphia, 11 Apr. 2013. Web. 21 Jan. 2016.
(c) Update your Independent Component 2 Log (which should be under your Senior Project Hours link)
(d) Explain what you completed.    
Independent component 2 represents a significant part of my research process, one that enabled me to conduct more typical research, as well as hands-on experimentation. The main focus behind this component was fine dining, what is expected from the experience and how to execute it. In the beginning was my research process, which then led to my experimentation phase, with my findings and new experience I could then move on to the planning phase.  How would I conduct my dinner party? What are the expectations of fine dining? How could I essentially be my own restaurant for one night? These are the questions I had to take into consideration when planning. The planning consisted of even more research, I searched for possible recipes, restaurant themes, even menus from other restaurants, and much much more. I also began to make schedules for when I would conduct trials, when I would go shopping for ingredients, and of course when to host my dinner. My trial run was a gruesome 6 hours of comprehending the recipes, practicing them, and trying to recreate them, this was an essential step because it made sure that the dishes would be cleaner, more efficiently made, and more consistent when the actual dinner came around. The day of the actual party consisted of an hour of grocery shopping, 3 hours of prep (Basic ingredients prep as well as the environment, decorating), 3 hours of total cooking time throughout the night, 2 hours of serving dinner, and an hour of clean-up.
(e) Defend your work and explain the component's significance and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.   Provide evidence (photos, transcript, art work, videos, etc) of the 30 hours of work.   

(f)How did the component help you answer your EQ? Please include specific examples to illustrate how it helped.
My EQ is, how can a restaurant provide an appealing and delicious dining experience? Independent component 2 really allowed me to dive deeper into the reality of fine dining. It gave me a slight look into what actually goes into running a restaurant. It brought clarity into my research because it let me experience the benefits and woes of working in a restaurant setting. I was able to learn different styles in the process, allowing me to add more pizazz and elegance to dishes, making them more appealing. Since I had conducted an initial trial, it allowed me to taste what I was making and if it still fit my intentions for my menu. From this trial, I was able to tweak and adapt the recipes to the taste I desired out of them, making the dishes more delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment