Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Blog 16: Independent Component 2 Approval


Hosting a Fine Dining Dinner Party


1.  Describe in detail what you plan to do for your 30 hours.


Initially I plan on scheduling more time for library research, as I want to develop my knowledge on the presentation of the dishes and entertaining a Fine Dining clientele. I also plan on observing my mentor as he goes through the same process of hosting a dinner party. Next I will be spending more time with my mentor to help me hone in my kitchen skills so that I can achieve the greatest efficiency and consistency during the very demanding environment of running a kitchen. Following the sharpening of my skills, I will go over the recipe-making and developing process with my mentor so that I may be able to understand recipes more in the hopes of making my own. With the understanding of recipes, I will then start to pick and develop different recipes to think and visualize what will work best, during this time I will also start to create my theme for the meal. Now we begin the experimental phase, first will be the experimentation of the individual recipes, recording the different results from each so that I can provide a consistent experience. The experimental phase will also include some small scale trials before the final product. Lastly, the time will come for D-Day, which will include final ingredients check, kitchen prep, meal prep, hosting the guests, and lastly short documentation/log/interviews.
   
2.  Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectation of showing 30 hours of evidence.


In order to show evidence of completing 30 hours during the Independent Component, I plan on conducting brief interviews of my mentor and any other subjects involved along the way, mainly to establish the educational and experiential value of my specific Independent Component. I would also like to document my work through photo and video content, in the hopes of providing an inside look at my Independent Component, walking the audience through the research, learning, experimentation, and eventually the final product. By documenting and sharing my Independent Component in this fashion, I will be able to satisfy the comprehensive intentions of this project.


3.  Explain how what you will be doing will help you explore your topic in more depth.


To kickoff, I intend to take a trip to the Cal Poly Library, in our first visit I feel that time spent there was to limited; therefore, it is of my strongest intention to schedule time for some thorough research at the library. Specifically, I plan on researching place setting, presentation methods, kitchen/table etiquette, and the demands/inner-workings of a fine dining kitchen in order to provide insight on how to prepare my kitchen and myself for utmost quality and efficiency. I am glad to say that my mentorship has been a very valuable resource to my cause thus far and I plan to spend a lot of time there in preparation for my Independent Component. In that time, I hope to hone in my basic cooking skills, as well as experiment with different recipes and cooking styles. Additionally, as my mentor’s experience led to the fruition of my Independent Component, I intend to work with him in creating the plans and menu for the dinner itself. It will also be important to practice the dishes and conduct trials of the dinner before the actual full-scale product.



4. Post a log in your Senior Project Hours link and label it "Independent Component 2" log.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kyle- Please come and see me. I would like to see you get a lot of hands on experience this time. I think shadowing your mentor can be part of this, but I think your time would be better spent developing your cooking skills at home or in preparation for a small dinner you host with your friends or family. Perhaps you cook once or twice a week, document your process and progress, and how it relates to your EQ.

    ReplyDelete