Thursday, September 17, 2015

Blog 5 - Interview 1 Reflection


1. What is the most important thing I learned from the interview?  Is there anything I would do differently for other interviews?

The most important thing I learned from the interview was the information about the different careers in the field as well as the education involved. Prior to this interview, I didn’t fully grasp how diverse the field of Culinary Arts really was and now I know its true depth and how much passion and grit you really need to work your way through. For other interviews, I would probably be more organized and prepared, and I would probably make it more formal and possibly film the interview. I would probably communicate with the interviewee beforehand to establish what topics we would cover so that conversation can be held more smoothly and to take advantage of as much information from the interviewee as possible.

2. Did I get additional resources and contacts?  What is the most useful?  Why?

I didn’t necessarily get any specific contacts, one in particular was mentioned and would be a great person to speak with but they reside and work in New York City, however the specific chef is a good friend of my mentor. My mentor suggested talking to local restaurants and in terms of small family-owned businesses, I could probably work under an apprenticeship. When it came to recommending resources, my mentor who I interviewed claimed that he had many cooking related books, and I am assured that I would be able to drop by and look through some of the books he owns.

3. What makes my interviewee qualified to help me?

I believe that my interviewee is qualified to help me because of his diverse work experience. In the span of 6-7 years, my mentor/interviewee has worked under different industries within cooking and Culinary Arts, restaurant, food production/distribution, and private catering. I also believe my interviewee is qualified due to his creative and passionate vision in cooking, those two traits he claimed are of the three most important in an exemplary chef during the interview. When I would spectate him cooking during the dinners he would host, I always see a focused and cultivated person, someone who is always on point, even during my mentorship he is always tack sharp, always knowing what to do.

Interview #1 Audio Link: 

1 comment:

  1. I would like you to make sure that you include the actual questions given for the interview in your sound recording. Otherwise, the questions and answers were very interesting : ) Try for a better image.

    ReplyDelete