Thursday, October 1, 2015

Blog 7 - Second Interview Preparation

The Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Pasadena, where my mentor attended.  

1.  Who is your mentor and where do they work?  If their workplace does not reflect their expertise, what makes them an expert?


My mentor is Edward  Forte, works at CTI Foods which is a food manufacturing/processing company. My mentor also does work as an independent caterer, catering for private parties/venues or small orders, his most popular items are usually pastries and desserts such as cheesecakes. I should also mention that my mentor worked in the restaurant business for a few years prior to his current employment and is working toward starting his own restaurant.


2.  What five questions will you ask them about their background?


In my first interview, I had already interviewed my mentor, I had asked him some experiential questions and some on his career. However, I feel there is much more to learn and I think this can still be a very fruitful interview.


  1. Were there any difficulties or obstacles you faced on your journey as a chef? What were they and how have they prepared you or affected you?
  2. What are some goals that you set out through your journey as a chef?
  3. Through some of my research, many writers have claimed that going through a Culinary Arts education isn’t the best way to start off a career as a chef. What are your thoughts on that perspective? How worthwhile do you feel your education was toward where you are today?
  4. What was the most helpful, insightful, or inspirational lesson you learned while in Culinary Arts school?
  5. What was it like to work in the restaurant business? What was the common agenda or procedure that went on through a day at the restaurant?






1 comment:

  1. I especially like #3. Avoid questions that invite one word answers...rephrase 1.

    ReplyDelete